Sunday, July 12, 2009

Health Care

We are at a perplexing point in our country... Should we have insurance companies making medical decisions? Bureaucrats? Who should pay? Is it a birthright? A personal responsibly? Should some pay more than others?

Where is the greed: Insurance Companies? Big Pharma? Tort Attorneys? Doctors? Politicians? The rich?

Do we regulate or educate?

Do we insist- or suggest?

I believe health care for the needy should be above saving the salt marsh mice...

I believe there are circumstances where a hand up is required and should be extended.

I believe in encouraging self-reliance.

I believe paying for your health insurance is more of a necessity than say a plasma television.

I believe a person blindsided by a major illness can reasonably expect some benevolent public assistance.

I believe ridiculous medical lawsuits and class action suits need to be regulated.

I believe the extreme rhetoric from both right and left has become ridiculous...

I believe common sense is needed- with our benevolent hearts.

I pray some common sense solution is found...

Growing up in southwest Cleveland (we moved so often we had a frequent flyer plan with U-haul.) I discovered early on I did not want to be a “ward” of the state... qualifying for free lunch and such- by age 12, I turned the free programs down... Pride? Yep. I did not want anyone taking care of me. Was this too much pride? Nope- just enough to move me over and out of that situation...

I find myself now at age 54, a somewhat a crusty conservative, a former republican- disenfranchised with both parties... But even as a bootstrap republican-I always felt that federal and local government should have benevolence to the needy people, and there must be reasonable expectations of those people to address their own issues, as possible- when possible.

As an adult many times, I worked two jobs to dig my way out, to provide the basics plus for my family. I sometimes had to humble myself- I had to fall to my knees. I had to look for something less desirable- and most times I had to put off some of the things I wanted... until I could afford them without going on the payment plan...and eventually- with His grace, I found a success that was more than could be expected for a welfare kid from Cleveland.

Can I credit my success to my own hard work? I would love to say yes- but I cannot, I did have help... My faith in Christ Jesus, and His words sustained me as I cried out in anquish- as I failed and fell-He lifted me again and again... and provided me with a roadmap to follow in His word.


God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment