Thursday, December 10, 2009

You are What you Think.


Flying back home last night from Columbus, I thought of the many life challenges I have met and succeeded in overcoming. I thought of the obstacles. I have come a long way. God has been good to me- better than I have deserved. I seem to have a sense of euphoric visions while hurtling through the sky at 40,000 feet, or sitting by the ocean- or Gulf of Mexico in my case; it allows me to feel extreme possibilities. Maybe it is a sense of being closer to Him. Plans form, obstacles appear less threatening… I feel like I can accomplish life changing goals…start projects, expand my horizons.

I guess I mention all this because I find myself looking for ailments these days. Thinking that things will not get better- wondering what I should start and what I should not try… Granted there have been some physical limitations associated with my leukemia and recent bladder surgeries… but I have to admit I have gotten sucked into it as well. For nearly six years now I have been waking each morning wondering if I would have a good day or not. In reality, I have been looking for the negative signs of CLL progression.

Thirty years ago I read a book by a fellow “Doug Hooper” titled “You are What You Think…” Doug had been a mousey guy who lived an uneventful life. Work, family, Church, and some volunteer time at a local prison- San Quentin- a prison ministry. He tried to encourage men in prison to escape their circumstances first in their mind… acting as if they were law abiding citizen, and the laws of nature would take over. Erasing the negative thoughts of themselves and visualize being responsible members of society. Water seeks it own level. If you were a law abiding responsible person, you would be out of synch, out of place in a prison environment… Apparently, the men who followed that advice seemed to transcend the usual rotation of jail- out- trouble- jail again… many defied the odds- the expected outcome of their lives. He spoke of the laws of nature- the law of cause and effect being as real as the law of gravity.

Doug realized one day that he had been talking a mean game- but had not been following his own advice. He was like many, living ok, struggling financially within his means, but not personally fulfilled. So he applied the logic of acting as if- visualizing himself receiving checks in the mail, writing a column, publishing books… being a public speaker, and eventually that all came to pass.

I read his books, listened to his audio tapes and actually met Mr. Hooper at a time when I was trying to expand my possibilities become a better person…and not live up to the lowered expectations that my past had presented to me. A life that I expected to have- that was not v ery fulfilling. I suppose I could blame people- my parents, my teachers, the government...but the fact would still be there... If something was going to change- I had to be a part of that.

So, I read many positive mental attitude books- took courses at my own expense, like Dale Carnegie, Anthony Robbins, and Karass Negotiating. I maxed out employer programs that paid for workshops. I looked for the common denominators of each that could be fitted into my life. I went to church. I eventually found a "good" Bible reading church. That was key. After 13 years in a highly visable image church- I learned more about the Bible in the first six months in a small "bible reading" church.

I am fortunate to have been blessed mightily with a good wife and a Lord who presented me with possibilities within His word (over and over I might add- I was a slow learner) and within my life experiences. Denise encouraged me... God guided me- when I got out of His way. My job has been to connect the dots. Quite frankly, I felt pretty much on track until about six years ago.

Hooper also spoke about physical health- how listening to others describe their illness, how rampant a virus or flu might be- he found himself coming down with the symptoms. He decided to stop looking for ailments. Sounds like a good idea.

40,000 feet can add some clarity.

Now what? Still have leukemia. I still have Bladder cancer. What I need to do is feel closer ro God, and feel his love for me. I need to start acting as if… appling some laws of nature- and maybe getting out of God's way.

Now that I have published this, I guess I have to do it...

Hang on....

God Bless,

5 comments:

  1. Randy, you have written a very thought provoking entry. Since I read it a few days ago, I have been thinking a lot about Doug Hooper's “You are What You Think…” I read your post to Tom because I feel we can both benefit from what you have written. Certainly there are "things" we have no control over, but just envisioning that you feel good, have energy and a more positive situation can influence your view of life itself and possibly improve it. I'm sure this was a well timed entry for a lot of folks. God bless, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, my dear! Instead of looking for things that feel wrong or bad or off, you have the option of looking for things that feel right or good or spot on -- in your body and in your life. And instead of fearing that you might not be able to do some things, you can envision yourself doing them and feel the joy and zest for living in those activities. I truly believe that feeling that joy and enthusiasm will bring you the energy you need-- to do things and to allow God to heal your body too. With love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. its good to know that Mr. Hooper's book made an impact on more than just my own life. Fate, it seems, has a funny way of showing you the path you are suppose to walk down. It was fate that lead me to that book.. It fell into my lap one day. it was quite literally meant for someone else, given by someone to whom i had no ties. the person it was given to had no intention of taking time from their 'busy' day to read it. so being a believer in fate, i understood this to mean the book WAS meant for me after all. I'm truly thankful to this person, even though they have no idea that they helped me to change my life so very drastically. They had written an encouraging message on the inside cover for the person the book was intended for. this particular copy, it seems, was passed around to several people, all of whom wrote or highlighted passages that meant the most to them, then passing it on to someone they felt could use the words of wisdom that lie between the covers.. i was no exception.. i have no idea where my copy has gone. in the trash i guess. maybe the person i gave it to wasnt the best choice, but i cared about her and thought if she cared enough about herself then she would read it.. i came upon this blog entry, again by accident or twist of fate, while searching for an e-copy of this book for my son who is now 11 and is ready for the knowledge contained in this amazing book.. what he learns from this book will change his life as it did mine. wish me luck in my search for an e-copy!!

    ~Amanda Las Vegas, NV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, Good luck with your search- I found a couple of copies several years ago on Amazon- to replace the ones I gave my sons... Please let me know if you find it electronically.

    During one of my searches- I came across a posting by Doug's son... google is an awesome tool. Maybe he might be encouraged to republish...electronically. I will stroll through the cyber world a bit and see if I can find him again...

    There are no accidents...

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. GDAY, IM 37YRS OLD WITH 3 KIDS OF MY OWN I FOUND DOUGS BOOK ON MY MUMS BOOK SHELF AND IT OPENED A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF THOUGHT FOR ME I OFTEN LOOK BACK ON IT WHEN THINGS SEEM TO BE GOINING NOT SO SMOOTH, ITS FUNNY HOW THE BOOK SOMETIMES PICKS YOU. ITS NEVER FAR FROM MY HAND. FEW BOOKS HAVE HAD SUCH AN IMPRESSION ON ME, ITS A REAL TREASURE.

    ReplyDelete