Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oil Change


Changed my oil today....Big deal...I use to regularly change my oil, plugs, points and on one particular vehicle with an aluminum head- the head gaskets every three thousand miles or so. It has been a long time since I last personally performed these tasks-probably when Ronald Reagan was President. It has been too easy to have someone else do it...and not that expensive. Of course plugs last about 100k now and points- well they don't exist.

I woke up this morning, again after a long night of interrupted sleep and was determined not to allow this situation to prevent me from living life. I found my ramps in the shed- and thanks to my friend Dave Skuller- I timidly pulled the Mustang up onto the ramps. He suggested that I might overshoot the end of the ramps. That had never occurred to me- or happened, even in the old days of conder blocks and wood planks... But I thought of it as I inched up the incline.

Six quarts of synthetic, a new oil filter and only a tad on the drive way when I kicked the drain pan wiggling my fat butt under the car...I also have a pair of sneakers now officially deemed "oil changing shoes..."

I also had a little spillage as I drained the pan into the oil jugs for transport to the recycling center. A little oil sloshed over onto the grass.

Al Gore would be upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment