Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Effects of Sleep Deprivation


Sleep deprivation can have serious effects on your health in the form of physical and mental impairments. Inadequate rest impairs our ability to think, handle stress, maintain a healthy immune system and moderate our emotions. In fact, sleep is so important to our overall health that total sleep deprivation has been proven to be fatal: lab rats denied the chance to rest die within two to three weeks.

Without adequate rest, the brain's ability to function quickly deteriorates. The brain works harder to counteract sleep deprivation effects, but operates less effectively: concentration levels drop, and memory becomes impaired.
Similarly, the brain's ability to problem solve is greatly impaired. Decision-making abilities are compromised, and the brain falls into rigid thought patterns that make it difficult to generate new problem-solving ideas. Insufficient rest can also cause people to have hallucinations. Other typical effects of sleep deprivation include:

• depression
• heart disease
• hypertension
• irritability
• slower reaction times
• slurred speech
• tremors.

I have been battling a urinary tract infection that has caused me to get up 5-7 times every night, not permitting me to get a good nights sleep...since early November.

Ironically, the CAL 101 phase one chemo trial I am on for my CLL seems to be working. I just have not had the opportunity to experience it due to this infection.

I am seeing an ID Doctor today because unfortunately my continued use of antibiotics to fend off infections have made oral antibiotics ineffective. I have to go for the heavy duty stuff by IV.

I believe irritability, while that come to me "naturally", will be lessened once this rotton $#%&# infection is eliminated.

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment