Thursday, December 31, 2009

2000-2010 What a decade


Man, here it is-2010. What a decade. Y2k did not happen- but 911 did.

Bin Laden still lurks out there, and terrorists still attempt to attack us.

I started out the decade living in my “last” house- in Vermont, and here at the end of 2009 and I am in my fourth house in Florida- not counting a seven month “retreat” in a Columbus Condo.

I took my dream job and moved to Florida after twenty-two years in Vermont. Denise’s mother’s suspicion that I would take her daughter out of state was finally confirmed.

Hit fifty- and discovered what Chronic Lymphocritic Leukemia was in the same year.

Bought a Mustang convertible- yeah, I am that fat old guy driving around...who else can afford them?

Learned to distinguish between CLL experts and strip mall oncologist: fired a few along the way.

I found out that Chemo did not always radiate- and unfortunately did not always work.

Also discovered that good Doctors listened, and it is not more expensive to go to the best...just sometimes less convenient.

Attempted a Bone Marrow Transplant- but lost a kidney instead. Since I have two, I do not miss it much…and I am not sure the transplant being scrapped was such a bad thing.

Lost more CLL warriers than I like to admit.

Had my best income year in 2007, and my worse (for the decade)in 2008.

I woke up in September 2008 to a looming financial disaster.

Discovered that some businesses were too big to fail, and their rescue had very little to do with me or the economy.

Decided that I needed to go on disability, and that being frugal was a good thing.

Discovered that not letting the Realtors talk us into a bigger house was also a good thing.

Tried hard not to believe that all politicians were self serving…still a mighty battle with the jury still out.

Found that Denise liked to remodel, and she lost her fear of power tools. She built several out buildings- including a playhouse for our granddaughters. They believe all grandmothers build playhouses.

I lost two sons- had one returned and become responsible-while the other remains in the wind.

I became aware of what being a grandfather meant, three times, and the commitment to family.

Learnt to give thanks for all things...all things. Time and age has shown me that what appears to be bad, may not be so bad in the big picture... see the reference to my missing kidney.

There are so many things that have happened this decade. So many ironic, sad, and happy things to recount and consider.

One thing is consistent- we remain- we are blessed, and with God’s will, we will survive.

Denise and I are desperately trying to stay awake for a dinner cruise tonight in Tampa Bay… our thirtieth New Years Eve together.

God Bless and Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on thirty New Year's Eves together! This is our seventh. And Monday is our sixth wedding anniversary. This was quite a memorable decade for me too! Happy New Year, Randy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shari- We celebrate our thirtieth anniversary on St Patrick's Day... always marry them om a holiday...

    Congratulations on the upcoming sixth...

    Looking for many more.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY NEW YEAR RANDY!!Hope you made the cruise and stayed awake!Congrats on 30 years together.Thanks for being Inspiring and just for being "Randy",The "Hotrodder" you are!

    Have a "In or Out Burger" or "In and Out Burger" or whatever those good burgers are and some fresh cut fries for me!!OK?

    God Bless you with better health and wealth in 2010 and may your wayward son return to the fold!

    Love Ya,
    Deb Light
    www.cllcfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very Happy New Years to you and Denise, Randy! It's our thirtieth, too. :)

    ReplyDelete