Monday, October 19, 2009

Is that Ohio Columbus? No, that's Columbus, Ohio.


Sorry, old gum advertisement from the sixties...who says advertising doesn't work..

I have arrived, safe and sound in the north country. Just in time for the drizzling cold rain turning to frost and soon snow.

I have been tested and accepted into the Cal 101 trial at The James Resort, Ohio State University- which requires that I take 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening. I started last week- with no ill effects. The only effect I have felt so far is my skin seems to be clearing up on my legs. They were swollen, and some disgusting eruptions had taken place. Now they are practically healed and all is well...I expect that the Band-Aid company will post a loss for this quarter.

Could be the Cal 101- or the cold...

I am about an hour south of Cleveland- my old home town, four hours from my sisters in PA, and two days from my wife in Tampa. I will probably fly home for six days between treatment. I have an appointment to see Dr. Pohar here at the James to deal with my nasty little bladder cancer issue. I need an outpatient surgery that I will do here. Denise may fly up for that- once we get the schedule.

I worked out a good deal on a condo- one bedroom deal in a gated community so I am exploring how to cook something other than grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup... local television even has the Browns games...(good and bad thing)

I would like to say that Ohio State is a terrific medical center- and as a teaching school, up to date on the current practises... I recommend that everyone when faced with any medical issues go to the best medical facility that handles that particular illness. I am not sure how the proposed medical legislation would have worked in my situation, but the original Doctor I saw wanted to immediately put me on a drug that is sarcastically called "Aids in a bag" for the damage it does to your immune system... That was in April 2004. I was a mess- but I did read that hasty treatment could do more harm than good- so I got a second opinion from a CLL Professional. I also fired the local doc when I discovered that both his patient rest rooms had turned off the hot water...like a gas station.

The more you question and learn, the better off you are.

God Bless,

2 comments:

  1. Glad you arrived safely, Randy. Was wondering how you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they turned off the hot water. That almost goes against what most people are taught and probably practice, wash in at least warm water. Oh well, you've moved on and for the better. I wish you all the luck with this trial and the bladder procedure. I'll be praying for you...

    Loren

    ReplyDelete