Thursday, January 1, 2015

Starting off the new year

January 1, 2015. Happy new year. 

It's been a busy couple of days. Had an end of year clinic visit in Ohio at the new James Cancer Center- part of Ohio State University.  The end of year visit was hastily planned when I was given two free tickets- but they had to be used by 12/31/14. Denise and I flew in on the 30th, and back home on the 31st- arriving at 12:10. We started the day with scans at 7am. 

I did not see Dr Byrd, he was off...but Mona, Bridget, Kim, and Michelle took care of us. Other than a stand off with an overbearing RN, it went well. 

The trip back was a two leg trip. We had several hours in Baltimore. Also a scare with the luggage- all the bags had been through the system, but ours was not on the belt. Fortunately it had arrived earlier and was in the baggage office. Feeling blessed about that. 

The trip started a big rocky. The morning of the 30th, I got up to get ready, walking into the bathroom, and I lost my balance. I fell into the shower curtain, into the bathtub breaking the soap dish. As some of you may know my upper body and leg strength is non existent these days. After some jockeying and twists we had to call the Plant City paramedics. The two young men arrived and got me up and out.  

This is the fourth time I fallen in the last month. First in the bathroom- lost my balance. The paramedics had to be called to the rescue. The second, late one night by the pool. Again balance failed me and I cracked my skull on the planter. Two am and no one up or around. I was able to slide my butt onto a step and work my way up. No serious damage to the planter. The third time I was on the front porch playing with the cat. Lost my balance and down I went knocking over the furniture. It was not too late, but I was grateful no neighbors came by. I worked my way up on the furniture. 

Prior to the first fall, I knew my strength was waning. I dropped 80 lbs or so of muscle mass, and began realizing it when I could not lift a 5 lbs water bottle. I use to sell and carry  kegs of beer the were 165 lbs.  There is defiantly a macho element to this. As a sixty year old man, having to use a cane to make sure I don't topple over, and have to ask your wife for some assistance lifting things, it can be a bit  disturbing.  

Denise has been a real trooper through all this. She wants to fix it, as is her nature. I have to remember to be more understanding as she asks me numerous times a day  " are you okay?"  She tries to anticipation of my needs.  The. Macho part of me has a hard time with that- especially when she is right. 

Unfortunately I am not seeing any improvement in my strength.  

Talk to you later. 

Randy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment