Monday, August 10, 2009

Back to the Beach

Denise and I are back from Sanibel Island. We had some wonderful food, plenty of sunshine, just a relaxing time of it... so we decided to do it again- on a smaller more hectic kid scale. We are loading up the grand kids-Heavyn and Neece, and heading off to Treasure Island on Wednesday for a couple of nights at a kid friendly beach hotel. Trading in the wine and escargot for kool aid and ho hoes...but we will have the grand kids.

Not much to report from the St James Resort people (James Cancer Center at OSU). I did receive a return call today from Doris- I was scheduled to see the transplant Doc next week, but since we have not started any treatment- I let them know not to expect me. It has been a bit frustrating waiting for other people to jump into action here. I know the “trial” is being administered by the pharmaceutical company, and that according to Doris (Dr. Byrd’s assistant) when I make my frequent calls- everyone is put in the loop. Good to hear, because as I told her- I have not heard jack. In fact, since I have not spoken to anyone with an advanced degree from Ohio in so long; I am starting to get withdrawals.

So being the control freak that I am, I told her that since nothing is going to happen until at least September- let’s just do six months of chemo treatments before we jump into the Bone Marrow Transplant commitment. I can fly up to Columbus, spend a couple of days doing the chemo chair thing, and then get back to Florida where the temperature will be moderate. With any luck I can put off a relocation to the frozen tundra of Columbus until March or April- when I will have to spend at least three months. I mean, Florida or Ohio in the winter months- whatta think? There does not seem to be any sense on urgency right now- my skin is cleared up (maybe the salt water), I feel OK, steroids have me hitting like A-ROD(just kidding), so maybe we ought to slow this tap dance down a tad. I informed Doris that I was ready to pack and move to Columbus in early summer- but again since there has been no real sense of urgency (or contact) from the OSU team, what the heck- slow baby slow. Maybe I am being a bit cranky?

Speaking of cranky.

Tomorrow I go to US Senator Bill Nelson’s office in Tampa to discuss health care. I got an email from the Obama team asking me to go, I responded to the quick links, and they set it up. Hmmm. I did acknowledge him (Obama) as my president, and somehow I wound up on the mailing list. I am an American. Senator Nelson does represent the people of Florida- where I reside. I do believe that once elected patrician politics should be set aside- and yes, if I put a tooth under my pillow, I will see a saw buck in the morning. But I hardly think I qualify for the Team Obama picnic. Not going to mention any attempts to organize here. I am just going to go and explain that I think we need to make sure we don’t jump too hastily into the same type of quagmire like we did with the bailouts. One morning in September I woke and was told by the big loud talking heads that unless we gave billions (or was it trillions) of dollars to the banks and financial systems that were too big to fail- I would be selling pencils on the street corner. The banks got the money (and no, there are no Ticonderoga #2’s in my hand so far)- but I see the banks looking healthier- but the mortgages and lending sure did not do any somersaults.

I realize that I will more than likely be speaking to some overworked staff member- but I think it important to go.

I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. I will be respectful. Actually, I will be respectful. But I will also make sure my opinion is at least heard- respectfully. I will not utilize the talking points from Mitch Stewart- the Obama political operative that encouraged me to “speak up for health care.” I think there are some personal responsibilities that should be addressed-like if you have a plasma television and no health care- you made the wrong choice. Catastrophic illnesses can strike anyone- I think we need to be a benevolent government to assist those people, but as for those that we in the south they say, “Bless their hearts, they just don’t have enough sense to get in from the rain...” maybe a little less.

I am all for a hand up- not a hand out.

Anyway, time to go to bed and get back to my Jason Bourne book. I don’t seem to get much reading done at the beach- staring aimlessly at the surf and horizon.

One last bit of housekeeping. I need to admit a plagiarised transgression here: The Blog sub title, “Perfuming the Pig” has been lifted from the verbal artillery of my good friend and role model Gil McCormack of Rutland Vermont. One day, I hope to be like him when I grow up. Until then I will just steal his good lines. He does continue to amuse me.

Sorry Gilbert, forgive me for my trespass.

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment