Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Let me give you Money---Please.


That is the title of a book my friend Gil and I plan on writing. It is concerning the frustration one experiences when trying to get quotes, jobs done, and services-finding some people just don’t get back to you… Contrary to what you might think- bad economy and all- having responsive tradesmen is a rarity.

Example One: My garage… I called the “premiere” builder in my town- trying to stay local. He came out and we spoke and discussed what I wanted- and explained the last garage I built was my “pride and joy”… I wanted something of similar status- a three car garage- maybe some additional storage area. Because we are in a “historic” area of the community- and because we like to have things that blend well- we needed someone who knew the community, the regulations, and could satisfy everyone’s needs. He left after spending over an hour with us, saying he would give us a call with some ideas… I was ready- check in hand…

Have you heard from him? He never called. This turned out to be fortuitous since the economy took a nose dive… but I was ready willing and able to move forward.

Example Two: Because of the economy, we lowered our sights and decided to put in a “cement pond”- so we could bear to be out of the air conditioned house in the summer. Again, I called for quotes- pulling one name from the local mix and several from nearby Tampa… The local guys finally came by- after I recalled them repeatedly- we spent some time in the back yard discussing the vision. Coming to their office to see the plans, I found them ill prepared. I made the appointment early- prior to a flight. The fellow who came out to our house delegated the plans to a co worker- and after pointing out several missteps in the presentation- we decided to reconvene after they prepared accurate plans that reflected what we really wanted.

I think he and my garage builder have run off together- yep, no word from him…even though I was pretty clear we would be swimming in the back yard by memorial day…

Trying to cover the floors in the man cave after I have reinforced them with new sub flooring had me seeking a carpet installation.

I think you might understand my motivation in whining about this issue...I had expected to be completed several weeks ago... two companies- no measurements yet...

I guess the economy is not as bad as it seems.

2 comments:

  1. Has Denise the builder gone on strike?

    PS Glad to see you've emerged from the Serengeti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise is still active- this is for the man cave- my project. Having the carpet laid is much more cost effective than spending the time and effort to do so- If I can find someone who responds.

    ReplyDelete