Saturday, March 19, 2011

Road Weary


I checked in with the Ohio State crew- Dr. Byrd, Margaret, and staff. They wanted to check a few other things out- so I had a CT scan and a Bone Marrow Biopsy... The CLL seems to be stalled- which works for me- but is still there. I relate it to having high blood pressure- or diabetes- manageable. There are a lot of new areas of research- and Dr. Byrd would like to have more data before any changes are made- me too. With my pedestrian view- I think if it isn’t broke- don't fix it. The truth is I am past my shelf life- but only God knows when it's time for me to rotate out.

I was in Indianapolis again last week- and spent some time with some old friends, people from ARMO (Automotive Restoration Market Association) and some Magazine colleagues. One of the reasons I had to come back to this automotive aftermarket is that this is such a fun industry. We work hard- but all seem to have a burning passion to get it right.

The transition to the working world- and more and more digital influence has been interesting. Learning about QR Codes, social media, presenting multimedia presentations... challenging- but fun. I love my IPhone. A few weeks ago I did a social experiment with Foursquare- I "checked in" everywhere I went for two weeks... Airports, Hotels, Clients, Restaurants...and the information were duplicated and posted on Face book. After two weeks, I decided it was not that cool- and anyone who needed to know that I was at Harry and Izzies eating shrimp cocktail in Indianapolis- well, I would make sure they knew about personally.

One funny thing was that a friendly competitor told me his boss came out of his office and told him "Randy is at a NAME WITHHELD place of business". Guess surfing the web is an acceptable form of business strategy these days= another good reason not to post all things- keep em wondering.

So in all- things are well. Still horizontal and moving forward. Trip to Dallas next week- then I will spend three or four weeks at home...almost warm enough to get into the pool.

God Bless,

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog [hope you don't mind], My husband was diagnosed with CLL before Christmas. We have Kaiser and they will do none of the real testing that Dr. Bryd wants ["yes" we went to see him on our own until we can change insurances in Dec]. While we can't afford the $15000 testing we know he will help us if symptoms worsen before then or we have concerns. It was wonderful to see someone under the care of Dr, Bryd and staff, they are wonderful and compassionate. Good luck with your CLL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I'm so happy to hear you're feeling so well. If all we have to do is deal with a chronic disease that is managable ... well we can't ask for anything more! Ralph was going to start the PCI 32765 & Ofatumamab next week. He's actually feeling like a human being for the first time in three years and Dr. Byrd has decided there are people more sick than he is (wow, that's a new situation for us!) and so he will be put off starting the trial for a couple more weeks while he gets those 4 people started.
    Having followed your story on other fourms for a few years I am so happy for you. You've had a very rough time of it. This is just the best news.
    Keep up the hectic schedule! Who would have thought you could be "back in the saddle again" and how fortunate you must feel.
    Will check in on you now and then. I expect to see nothing but good news. Linda from Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are still mighty fresh even though past the assigned "shelf life.!" God is indeed the One who determines how full of days we each shall be. Enjoy your next trip, then back to the pond at the Serengeti! Blessings and love

    ReplyDelete